Thursday, September 20, 2007

Goodbye, Syd.

I had to put my 15 year-old cat to sleep today. He had cancer. He was diagnosed about two years ago, but was doing ok. Over the last few months his tumor had gotten really large. I had already decided not to do chemo, so I was prepared for the worst. He had stopped eating the last few days, and he moved very little. I decided to take him in to the vet today. I got to say, "Goodbye," to him.

He was a great cat. He was very affectionate and even natured. He loved people. He was a gentle soul. He was also polydactyl; he had extra toes. His front paws looked like he was wearing little gray boxing gloves. Syd was a smart cat. He would come when his name was called. He understood other commands, too. He was very clever. He would pull my hand out from under my pillow with his paw as I slept. He would then drag my hand over to his head to be rubbed.

He loved to get in the shower right after I used it. He would wait until I left the room and then jump in the tub. He loved to drink water from the tub. He didn't drink water in the normal way that cats do. He would dip his paw in the water and make a little paw-cup with his thumb.
I miss him very much.

3 comments:

Centuryhouse said...

George, so sorry to hear about Syd. You and Rhonda have my sympathies (and Paula's too).

We lost both of our dogs this year due to health issues & age. Our husky was 13 years old, and has been with Paula since birth. Both were our friends - we can certainly empathize with you.

Take care old friend.
Daniel W

Unknown said...

Syd looked like a sweetie. Bye Syd.

the catman said...

Putting down your cat has to be one of the most difficult decisions... I know it's been a few months (I just saw this post a few minutes ago here in December) but my heart still goes out to you. We have two cats now, they'll never replace our previous two - but are wonderful and each a joy in their own right(s). Syd was very handsome, very smart indeed, and I enjoyed reading about him! Thanks for the post and again - my belated sympathies to you.