Friday, November 30, 2007

En-"list"-ed

My friend Jennifer Gooch (who's becoming quite the cause célebré as an artist and a songwriter) posted a list of words on her blog pertaining to themes and ideas in her art work. It's kinda like Eno’s Oblique Strategies inverted.
After reading her list I made one of my own for songwriting. I was slightly surprised at the results. My list reads like the personality traits of the child of Neitzsche and Faulkner - a Southern Gothic Ubermensch?

Here’s my list:
1. regret
2. family
3. memory
4. death
5. renewal
6. tokens
7. brotherhood/sisterhood (in the sense of bonding together against or for a common cause)
8. names
9. outsiders
10. metamorphosis
11. language
12. body parts
13. declarations
14. science
15. abuse
16. sexuality
17. small town life
18. escapism
19. story
20. lying
21. defiance
22. (inability to) travel
23. secrets
24. war

No comments: