Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The prog comes on little cat feet

Much to the embarrassment and consternation of my punk rock wife, I have been on a prog rock kick the last few years. There's just something so appealing to me about it. It's the combination of pretension, sincerity, cluelessness, amazing musical chops, incredible arrangements, and a general "kitchen sink" mentality that does it for me. The lack of self-conscious irony is refreshing. Plus I love epics. I love big sloppy stories. Prog Rock appeals to my inherent lack of subtlety.

Anyway, Bill Bailey (he of the great British comedy series starring Simon Pegg Spaced), recently hosted a top ten countdown show that names the greatest prog rock bands of all time. There is some great stuff here. Plus, some of Bill Bailey's comments are priceless.

























1 comment:

Shrie said...

LOVE Spaced.